From:
"Sandra L. Harris" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 1996 09:01:54 -0700
Jay wrote:

>I too had my share of unpaid experiences, and yes, I do feel that I paid my
>dues to earn the position I'm in.  However, if I want to a top-notch intern
>to come to Kansas to work in our museum I do not want to see that intern
>suffer because he or she can't find enough funding to make a car payment.
>I would not be so bold or egotistical to think that I'm doing the museum
>field a service by "weeding out" interns who desire compensation for their
>services.  Wake up Sandra!!!

Well Jay- you did wake me up-
Your interns in Kansas should consider themselves lucky,  because I never
interned for anyone in Arizona who even cared if I had a car! Nor would I
have been egotistical or bold enough to expect them to! That never came
into play while competing for unpaid positions. I guess our perspectives
vary according to experience. For me, getting to work with professionals I
admired was payment enough while still in school. Having an outside job was
just a given around here-- and my classmates and I loved the struggle
nonetheless.

Respectfully,
Sandra Harris
Arizona State Capitol Museum