From:
"Finch, Andy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 17:19:50 -0400
My colleagues at the US Department of Energy asked me to post following
information about their art contest for students.  If you have any questions
please pose them directly to Department of Energy at

Thanks (and regards)

Andy Finch
US Department of Education
202-401-3292
DOCUMENT FOLLOWS

Our Theme: In celebration of the year 2000, the Department of Energy invites
young artists, grades four to eight, to participate in our Millennium Power
Art Contest. We are seeking art that illustrates the theme: Energy
Millennium - Honor the Past, Imagine the Future.
Eligibility:  This contest is open to U.S. students grades four to eight,
and will be judged within two categories: grades 4-6 and grades 7-8. Only
posters, no larger than 20"x30", will be accepted.  They must be mounted
with a registration form taped on the back.  The only restriction on medium
is that it be flat, and not three-D.
Judging this Contest: Submissions will be judged by a blue ribbon panel for
creativity (25%), originality (25%) and appropriateness to the theme - Honor
the Past, Imagine the Future 50%.   The artwork images should relate to the
history of energy technologies, how power will shape the 21st century or the
impact of energy in our daily lives.
Exhibit Plans:  The 100 pieces of artwork displaying the most creativity,
originality and amplification of the Millennium theme will be displayed at
Department of Energy Headquarters in a special exhibit this December.  The
same group of artwork will also form a traveling exhibit.
Awards:  The top three winners in each category will receive U.S. Savings
Bonds, with a $250 bond going to the first place winner, a $150 bond going
to the runner up and a $100 bond going for the honorable mention winner.
First place winners, each accompanied by a school chaperon, will also
receive a paid trip to Washington, D.C. in December to receive their prize
during a ceremony opening the Millennium Young Artists Show at DOE
Headquarters.
Deadlines:  Submissions must be postmarked no later than November 1, 1999!
Posters received after that date will not be included in the competition.
Poster judging will be held on or before December 1, 1999.  The decision of
the judges is final. Entry constitutes permission for winners' names,
likeness and submissions to become property of the Department of Energy for
additional use without compensation.
Questions? Please call us at 202/586-1908 or log onto our website for
additional copies of the rules, registration forms and a resource guide to
spark ideas for schools and students.
Enter Today!  Send entries to Department of Energy, attention: "Power Art"
Contest, P.O. Box 901, 1000 Independence Ave., S.W., Washington, D.C. 20585.

                The u.s. Department of energy is proud to be part of
America's grand celebration of past and future as we anticipate the
millennium through the eyes of our children, examining past energy sector
accomplishments and the future promise of tomorrow's energy technologies.
At the crossroads to the 21st century, "power art" will examine both past
energy sector accomplishments and the future promise of tomorrow's energy
technologies.<www.doe.gov/powerart/power.htm>

Museum-L" (without the quotes).