From:
Katherine Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 07:53:08 -0600
At the Beach Museum of Art we train our docents to be aware of learning
styles.  I use material from Howard Gardner and Project MUSE (Harvard
University Graduate School of Education project on Museum Learning).  We
stress to our docents that on any given tour there will be a variety of
learning styles and that they should try a variety of methods to reach
their audience - from giving information, to talking about how the art
is made, to allowing discussion.
Our school tours are planned with a wide variety of acitivities -
discussion, gallery activities and games, writing projects, and making
art - we hope that each child is reached through one of these methods.
We have used the Project MUSE material to develop a family guide for
visitors who come on their own.  Quest uses five different entry points
(based on Gardners multiple intelligences) to approach artwork.  There
are a series of questions in each Quest.

As far as Learning Objectives, one that we have established which is a
little different than those listed before:
Visitors will come away with new skills for looking at and appreciating
art.
During each tour, we make sure that we do one activity (children's) or
section (adult) where we help them learn how to look at art using
methods developed by Edmund Burke Feldman - author of "Varieties of
Visual Experience."

Kathrine Schlageck
Beach Museum of Art