From:
Nick Nicastro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 1996 10:17:49 -0500
To All Listmembers:

I am an independent videomaker and graduate student at Cornell University.
Recently I completed a 60-minute video documentary on the impact of the
Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA) on the
practice of archaeology and on museums, entitled "Science or Sacrilege:
Native Americans, Archaeology & the Law."

Unlike many other tapes made about the issue, this one takes a critical
look at both the scientific and native points of view. As such, I think
those looking for an informative and stimulating introduction to NAGPRA,
including practicing archaeologists, students, or concerned laypeople,
might be interested in it.

Interview subjects for the tape include several members of the NAGPRA
Review Committee, a number of native voices on both "sides" of the debate,
several physical anthropologists, archaeologists, and museum curators from
both large and small institutions.

The tape will receive its first public showing at the free screening at
Cornell Cinema, April 25th, at 7pm at Williard Straight Theatre. There will
be a panel discussion afterward-- Rick Hill, lately of the Smithsonian
Institution, will be among the panelists.

Anyone interested in getting further information about "Science or
Sacrilege" is encouraged to contact me directly at the addresses below.

-- Nick Nicastro

   Archaeology Program
   B-59 McGraw Hall
   Cornell University