From:
Lucy Sperlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 13:28:08 -0700
Joann,

I see you haven't gotten any other replies to your query, and this looks
like a question needful of being answered.

First, though, I'm a little confused.  You mention a "museum board".  Is
that an entity under the jurisdiction of the School Board or is it part
of the museum management entity?  If the school district owns the
collection, only the School Board can make decision about what happens
to the collection.

Second, what is the formal relationship between the group that manages
the collection and the School District?  Is there a formal agreement,
and if so does it have any stated mission or purpose statement for use
of the collection?

Does the entity that is operating the museum have 501(c)(3) status as a
non-profit?  If they hope to acquire the collection, they will need to
have that.

It sounds like this is not unlike museum collections that are owned by
Colleges and Universities, and the same problem has come up in that
arena. Whoever it is that wants to sell the collection, public pressure
might work to get them to agree to transfer ownership to a non-profit
museum, so it can continue to benefit the children of the area (which,
I'm presuming, in some form or other was the rationale for having the
collection and museum in the first place.)

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

Lucy Sperlin