From:
John Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Apr 2011 17:43:38 -0400
Cathy,
I've been questioning marking teaching collections in the same way you are and even though I haven't tried or tested this yet, I think etching the numbers into the object, using an engraving tool on a Dremel, might be the best bet. This would work great for metals and I think would offer you what you're looking for with the numbering. I hope to incorporate this method in the near future for objects that our interpreters use daily and wash frequently like ceramic plates, flatware, cups, etc. It's not guaranteed to work, but I'm crossing my fingers.

Hope that helps,
John

John Hart, Jr.
Assistant Curator of Collections
The Farmers' Museum
New York State Historical Association/Fenimore Art Museum
PO Box 800
Cooperstown, NY 13326
P: (607) 547-1447