From:
Heather Price <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 14:50:37 -0500
I want to thank those who have responded to my post.

Here's more info so that you can understand our situation more fully:
I mentioned that the two computers use different versions of Access. This is
because there is some sort of conflict with it on the receptionist's
computer and we simply cannot put Access 2000 on it. This really hasn't been
a problem because the receptionist doesn't use Access for any other reason
(except for this one file). And our Accounting Manager must use Access 2000
for her other tasks. So they can't work in the same database.

We do use Raiser's Edge, but do not own the Blackbaud Admissions module.
From what I understand, it is written more for schools than museums, and is
too costly for our needs.

In order to upgrade to RE7 last year we spent what amounted to several
year's IT budget to upgrade our server and workstations to what Blackbaud
required. We switched our network/server software from Novell/GroupWise to
MS 2000/Outlook. We purchased the MS Office Professional Suite 2000 and
licenses for everyone. We upgraded the RAM on most workstations and brought
everyone up to Windows 98 or higher. We are not in a position at this time,
as someone suggested, to purchase a new computer for our receptionist.

We were just hoping for a small admissions program that would work on the
two computers. Does such a thing exist?

Heather Price
Ella Sharp Museum
http://www.ellasharp.org/

Does anyone have a recommendation for admissions software for small museums?
We are currently using an Access database set up by a former staff member.
It does track everything I mentioned above. Our major problem with it is
that the Accounting Manager and Receptionist have (for various reasons)
different versions of Access. So whenever the Acct. Mgr. wants to tweak the
program, she has to do it on the Receptionist's computer. She would prefer
to have software that she could load on both computers. (In fact, she
promises to buy the new software and donate it, if it will allow her to stop
running between computers.)