From:
Adrienne DeAngelis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 10:08:35 -0800
        I know that these messages are from a few days back, but as so much
nonsense has been written about copyright, and as it appears that we have
here the development of new, and entirely spurious type of copyright, I
feel that I have to reply.  No one has written in the follow up or to
second Steven Bush's commonsense reply; an indication, perhaps, of how rare
this quality is in life.
        Unfortunately more people seem to be following along Albert
Sperath's uninformed response.  There have been now years of discussion on
various lists about the kinds of issues of copyright he has melded into one
uncomfortable whole.  Exhibitions are the work of many people, usually both
inside and outside of the exhibiting insititution.  To whom would such a
copyright on the whole exhibition belong?  Certain individuals, such as
writers and photographers, would or could have certain rights which would
be handled according to their contracts.  For example, photographers often
are required to surrender their copyright to the photos they make for the
show in return for payment.  In addition, it is well known that it is the
photograph of the work of art that is copyrighted, not the work itself.
Works of art themselves can only be protected by copyright if they are not
in the public domain.  Writers often give up their copyright in return for
payment, with the expectation (which can be put in writing in the contract)
that they will be given permission to reprint their essays in another
location, should they wish to do so.
        Finally, what earthly purpose would be served by trying to
copyright an entire exhibition?  It would seem that Mr. Sperath has seen
"The Belly of an Architect" (where an exhibition planned by one man is
hijacked by others in a money-laundering scheme) too many times.

        Adrienne DeAngelis