From:
Star Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 10:45:47 +0100
Dear All,

The Textile Society of America has an e-mail discussion group for a broad
range of textile and costume concerns, including conservation:

list program

messages

I currently am a member of the TSA discussion list, so if the poster would
like me to forward the question to the list, just let me know.

There also used to be a list dedicated just to textile conservation,
although I haven't belonged for awhile:

ICOM also has an international committee for textiles:

http://www.icom.org/internationals.html#costume
http://dept.kent.edu/museum/link/icom.html

The latter link will take you directly to the committee's pages where you
will find lots of information, including storage and conservation
recommendations.

I'm a new member of Museum-L, so I also would like to take a few moments to
introduce myself, if I may. I have my M.A. in Late Antique/Early Christian
Art ("The So-Called Mausoleum of Galla Placidia," UCR, 1983) and my Ph.D. in
Italian Renaissance Art History ("The Papal Series in the Sistine Chapel:
The Embodiment, Vesting and Framing of Papal Power," USC, 1998); in both
works, liturgical vestments played a crucial role. Currently, I am working
part-time at the Bagatti Valsecchi Museum in Milan, Italy,
http://www.museobagattivalsecchi.org (bi-lingual site). The Bagatti
Valsecchi Museum, directed by Dott.ssa Rosanna Pavoni, is a
late-nineteenth-century house museum, and is the seat of DEMHIST, ICOM's
international committee for historic house museums (for information on the
DEMHIST committee and its upcoming conference in Amsterdam, October 2002,
you may contact me at work at: [log in to unmask]).

Hope the textile sources are of help, and I look forward to the stimulating
discussions in this group, best regards,

Star Meyer