From:
"Peter B. Tirrell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 1997 08:44:27 -0600
Tomas & Jenny - This is an intersting project.  My museum doe not have a
program such as you have described.  However, I would like you to keep me
informed of your progress.  We have a curator of archaeology on our staff
and we work cooperatively with our stste arceologist who has an office on
our campus.  I will forward your inqury to them and I will talk with them
about it.  Thank you.

Peter B. Tirrell, Associate Director
Oklahoma Museum of Natural History
The University of Oklahoma
1335 Asp Avenue
Norman, Oklahoma   73019
tel:  (405) 325-1009
Fax:  (405) 325-7699
www.omnh.ou.edu/
also:  president, Association of College and University
Museums and Galleries(ACUMG) www.omnh.ou.edu/acumg/

>We are two students at the university of Linkoping in Sweden, writing two
>essays for our county-museum. Outside town there's an area (about 7*3 km)
>with lot's of archeological findings that the museum wants to show to the
>public. Our task in the project is to evaluate the possibilities of using
>IT for this. Our idea is that the visitors with a little computer in their
>hand walk along a marked woodland path while a GPS-coordinator locates
>their position in realtion to the objects (graves, old roads, etc). They
>are guided via the computer by text, pictures and animated sequences and
>hopefully also sound.
>
>We are studying a course called "Information and Media-science" at the The
>Department of Computer and Information Science. It combines the knowledge
>about old information-resources (museums, libraries, etc) with the use of
>new ones (internet, tv, etc).
>
>One of the essays focuses on the technical bit of the project. What
>equipment should be used? What problems may arise?
>
>The other one focuses on user related problems. How has projects of this
>type worked out earlier?
>
>Our question to you is: Is there anyone out there who has worked with
>similar projects? What are your experiences? Have you got any tips, ideas?
>Anything, whatsoever is gratefully appreciated.
>
>the best of regards,
>Jenny Alarik ([log in to unmask]) & Tomas Unosson
>
>ps. please respond "off-list" since neither of us is a member of the
>museum-list.

Peter B. Tirrell