From:
Ellie Elgin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 21:59:42 -0400
I do scout programs at the Fire Museum of Maryland.  October is fire
prevention month and I have created a scout program that scouts can earn
credit towards fire safety and prevention.  (This is one of four scout
programs).

The program is designed for individual troops or two small troops.  The
maximum number of girls that the program handles is 16 scouts.  The program
includes an interactive tour of the museum, fire safety house and alarm
office and hands-on activities.

As a small museum (I am the only one who gives the scout tours at this
time) I enlist the aid of cadets and sr scouts to work as program aides to
the scout programs.  The older scouts work with me, helping with the hands-
on activities.  Plus, the scout leaders usually are very helpful in working
with their scouts on the activities.

Rule one -- you must have a very clear objective for scout tours and be
able to define exactly what the scouts will learn, do and take with them.