From:
Doug Lantry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 May 1998 13:09:36 -0400
Regarding categorization and its necessity--I think everyone would agree
that dividing reality into manageable pieces with useful definitions is
very, very helpful, even necessary, to the business of planning and
thinking, but...

Please don't cancel the concept of flexibility of thought, of stretching,
amending, combining, manipulating definitions for the sake of creative
thought and creativity itself. Letting go of the rock of definition may
sometimes be scary, but it can also be very engaging. What I mean is don't
be afraid to question. (But don't be afraid to define, either!)

It's kind of like periodization in history: useful and much-used, but
malleable in many useful respects. I say we sensibly operate with some
standard definitions, but not be afraid to entertain thoughts "outside the
box."

I suppose this could easily transmogrify into "why history is not a
science." Eeek!

Best to everyone,
Doug

Doug Lantry
The Ohio Historical Society
Statehouse Education and Visitors Center
Columbus, Ohio