From:
David Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 1996 15:23:09 +0000
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Kyle
Berget <[log in to unmask]> writes
>How about a good Collections Manual? Our county history museum is stuggling
>to put together a collections manual. With all the wonderful museums out
>there there must be a basic model to work from or do we really need to
>reinvent the wheel?
>
>Karen Berget
>Stevens County Historical Society
>116 West 6th St
>Morris, MN 56267
>

>>In terms of textbooks for collections management...  IMHO, there
>>aren't any good, comprehensive and up-to-date ones.  I make my
>>students read a vast amount ftom a wide range of sources (including
>>the law library) for the graduate level CM course I teach at the UofToronto.
>>
>>I am making them read more and more from material published on the
>>WWW.  Two "texts" that we are using is the Museum Documentation
>>Association's Spectrum Guideline and the Getty's Intro to Digital
>>Imaging.
>>
>>Richard Gerrard
>>Museum Studies Programme
>>University of Toronto
>>
>>and
>>
>>Registrar
>>Toronto Historical Board
The MDA has put the text of SPECTRUM Essentials on the Web - see below
for the address. This is a simplified version of the full SPECTRUM
standard - published as a book and also as a Windows Help File. We now
have a demonstration version of the Windows Help file available, with a
full working version of the Acquisition procedure. If anyone would like
a copy, please let me know. The published price of bokk and disk are
both 65 Pounds Sterling, plus carriage (3 pounds for the disk). We can
take Visa card payments to avoid making too many problems with currency
charges.
--
David Dawson

Museum Documentation Association
347 Cherry Hinton Road
Cambridge CB1 4DH
tel: (+44) 1223 518126 fax: (+44) 1223 213575

find out more about MDA at
http://www.comlab.ox.ac.uk/archive/other/museums/mda/