From:
Mark Vang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 1996 17:17:28 UT
Cheryl,

I recently researched and priced all of the steps to go from a digital file to
a "exhibit quality" label or photograph.  It seems similar to the process you
described.  You go from a digital file (scanned image, etc.) to a negative to
a print.  Depending on the size of the image, you can have the negative
created as a 35mm slide (least expensive) or various sizes of transparencies.
There were also a couple different grades of print available.  You could also
have them produced as a duraflex or duratrans for even more money.  As someone
else mentioned, scanning them might not have much impact on the cost unless
you have access to the computer equipment and software needed to do the job
right.

An advantage to the digital process is that you can "fix" and enlarge the
images.  You can remove a scratch on a picture with a computer.  You could
also create the photographs and corresponding labels as part of the same
process.  Here is where you could end up saving some money as you are killing
two birds with one stone (sorry PETA).  A side benifit of the digital method
is that as part of the process, your original scans and production files with
text and images could be put on a CD-ROM disk.  The scanned images would be
available for other uses and since you would have the "digital masters" of the
photo/label files, you could have then reproduce them inexpensively as they
wear out (you did mention that this was a permanent exhibit).

If you don't have access to the equipment or software, I would be glad to work
up a proposal for the project cost.  Please e-mail me privately if you are
interested in this.

Mark C. Vang
Freya Ventures
2100 Mediterranean Ave. Suite 15
Virginia Beach, VA 23451
(757) 340-0099
* Interactive touch-screen exhibit computer systems and other digital stuff *