From:
Eileen Diana Mak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jun 1994 10:55:59 -0700
Cliff Quinn seems to think that just because museums are being required
to 'make themselves more accountable' or whatever phrase he used by
generating their own revenues, that somehow this is right and proper.
These museums are still (and I agree that even in Canada not all museums
are) public institutions and they are paid for out of our tax dollars.
That the politicians are asking the institutions to generate their own
funding does not negate this. It only points out the problems with the
public funding. I am well aware of the realities of funding in Canada and
all of the problems museums, archives and other cultural institutions are
facing. I just happen to believe that these institutions belong to all of
the Canadian people and a tax-paying member of the public I should not
have to pay for the use of something that belongs to me. The argument
that only a small number of people use these institutions and they are
generally people who can afford to pay for them is flawed logic. If I
chose not to put out my garbage for collection does that mean that I do
not have to pay that part of my taxes that goes towards garbage
collection? Or could I start requiring that people who do use the garbage
collection system to pay separately for that use? No. If I chose not to
use something my tax dollars pay for, that is my choice. I should not
have to pay for it again, if I do chose to use it. As well, charging user
fees, only perpetuates the elitism, by creating a barrier to use by those
who cannot afford to pay.

(By the way Cliff, my name is Eileen Mak, not Diana)

Eileen Mak
Ph.D. Candidate
UBC