From:
Whitney Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 07:33:11 -0600
Kate,

There isn't quite enough information in your description but some
general parameters apply.  And this is really in reverse order.  The
content should be developed first, then decide on the size and type of
casework.

A local shop would probably require a week to build, assemble and finish
the carcass of the case.  This allows a little time to obtain materials,
cut and assemble pieces, finish and cure the interior and exterior
surfaces.  Add on a couple of days to develop a shop drawing showing how
the case should be built.  This assumes that the shop doesn't have
anything else going on and so can start right away on your project.

Glazing is not mentioned, so I will offer 2 suggestions.  If acrylic,
allow at least 2 weeks for fabrication after the carcass is built so
that accurate measurements can be taken.  If glass, go with a laminated
safety glass and allow 2 weeks.  Again, you need the carcass of the case
complete so accurate measurements can be made.

We allow up to half a day to layout a case depending on the number of
objects and the complexity of the arrangement.  This provides an
opportunity to determine mount requirements for all objects and to
gather information from curators and conservators.   A metal mount
typically takes us about 3 - 4 hours to produce ready for installation.
In my experience, acrylic mounts can be a little faster, but not much.

The development of the idea and writing of the labels varies greatly.
For a single case, I would think that it could be done in about a day.
Allow yourself a day off, then come back to the labels and review them
with a fresh eye.

Good luck.

Whitney Watson

--
Whitney Watson
Missouri Historical Society

Life [is] a culmination of the past, an awareness of the present,
an indication of a future beyond knowledge,
the quality that gives a touch of divinity to matter.
                                           —  Charles A Lindbergh