From:
Todd Happer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 09:39:02 -0400
Forwarding from the "childmus" list, in case anyone wants to argue for the
rights of one hemisphere or another.     :-)
--Todd Happer
Scientific American
This question is for our friends in the Southern Hemisphere, from
someone who has never ventured there.

Do globes manufactured in the Southern Hemisphere have the South Pole on
the top of the Globe to make it easier to identify local landmarks, or
is the "North Pole on Top" orientation pretty universal?

Which also brings up interesting questions, I guess, of how North became
North, etc. Is there good website that looks at the early history of
map-making?

Tom Davidson
The Children's Museum (Somerset County, NJ)

Museum-L" (without the quotes).