From:
Cliff quinn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Apr 1994 09:11:26 -0700
On Fri, 8 Apr 1994, Jim Blackaby wrote:

> Richard Gerrard mentioned using MS-Access.  I have used it for
> Access through Access's ability to establish links out to
> existing databases.  Access's proprietary data structure (and potentially
> huge files) is not easily accessible from without.

On the other hand, if you even started to develop the ICOM model in xbase,
you would have an enormous number of databases, indexes, reports and
queries and forms with obscure 8 character
names in a complex directory structure, making it very difficult to move
around. I find it really refreshing to be able to take one file (albeit
*BIG*) and take it home to work on it, or to a museum as an example.

Maybe some of the main databases could be in xbase - you're right, ACCESS
is handy that way.

(Wild enthusiasm out here, Jim for your imaging course! - sorry I won't be
there, but I am sending spies.)

Cliff Quinn
Dogwood Network Coordinator
BC Museums Association