From:
Shannon Lindridge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2014 16:19:52 -0500
Julie--

I skimmed all the responses and everyone has their opinion on what should be done.  Legally is another matter-and you can consult a lawyer about that.

Each institution's policy and situation is different, only you know your institution and what will work for you.  (Heck both my kids, as infants went to work with me at my last museum job and it worked out just fine.  On the other hand, I have worked at other museums where having my children or a dog with me would not work at all.)

If I was at my current job and was faced with you situation, this is what I would do, discuss with the intern, maybe even write out,  what will and will not be allowable of the guide dog in training and if the dog becomes to much of a distraction or a problem the dog will no longer be able to come with her.  There also may be some tasks or days having the dog come would not work therefore not bring the dog on those days.  I also would recommend having your intern bring in documentation from a vet of rabies shot, and that the dog is free of fleas and ticks.  Also, seeing that some people have a great fear of dogs, I would highly recommend getting approval from your boss and other staff.

Good luck!
Shannon Lindridge, Registrar