From:
Lynita Langley-Ware <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 07:11:57 -0600
David,

Your situation is truly a delicate one.  You might try working out an
alternative lingo with tribal members so that you have an indirect
description of the artifacts without actually using the words that are
inappropriate.  This might work IF you can use the alternative descriptors
without these words also becoming inappropriate simply from their
association with the sacred objects.  You'll have to check this one out with
the tribal members.   In working with Past Perfect, you have a very
circumscribed set of words that you can use, most or all of which will not
apply to sacred objects.  You do have the option of adding categories, which
might be your best bet.  As an added precaution to smooth the way and
perhaps protect from unanticipated pitfalls, you might have a smoke ceremony
and get a blessing for the computer.  Good luck and let us know how it turns
out.

Lynita