From:
nima numa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 22:57:43 +1100
Hello all!

i am currently studying a MA in cultural heritage management and for my
thesis i have decided to analysis 'what makes a museum successful' or more
importantly how can we guage the 'successfulness' or the 'failure' of
museums.  For this study i will be invesitgating a number of different
museums in the UK ie. museums that are govt funded, privately funded, or run
totally by volunteers and donations.  I am supposing that each individual
museum will have a particular guage to fathom their 'success' or 'failure'.
This information will form part of the analysis of my thesis - how can i say
whether a museum is a hit or a miss affair?  One can not rely on audience
figures or audience comments solely - or can we?

I am interested in your opinions - how do you judge your approach - by
attendance figures or by what methods? What do you think makes a successful
museum - the displays, the intrepation of exhibits, attendance figures,
conservation techniques - etc.
what do you think are the most important elements any museum must have?

Any information you would like to share would be greatly appreciated.

thanking you in advance for you help with my studies

kind regards

paul willis