From:
Sarah Wood-Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 16:42:35 -0500
Good job, Tipitina!  S.

Sarah Wood-Clark
Museum Registrar
Kansas State Historical Society
6425 SW 6 Ave.
Topeka, KS  66615
(785)272-8681, ext. 407
Fax (785)272-8682
TTY (785)272-8683

>>> Tina Erwin <[log in to unmask]> 09/17 1:17 PM >>>
Dear Ms.Malanum:

I have had to care and prepare over 2,000 pieces of ammunition in our collections here and I can offer you some advice on preceding.

If the bullets still have powder in them, standard procedure is to have the powder removed. This is a fairly simple process that a trained objects conservator can perform. However, if you do not have a conservator, try calling your local police department or a nearby army base and tell them what you have (quantities and cartridge type), and they would probably do it for you.

If your curator decides that it is essential to keep the powder (???), he/she should then be informed that there are some procedures that must be followed. First, you are required to inform your local fire department that you have live ammunition and where it is. Fire Department personnel will not enter a facility with live ammunition unless it is properly stored in a fire-safe cabinet. That would be the second procedure you must follow. The museum must purchase a fire-proof cabinet for storage of these artifacts or they must be stored away from the rest of your collections. Unless you do this, you are risking the safety of the entire collection. (This is why most facilities just empty the powder out.)

The next important step in dealing with ammunition would be to make sure that none of the bullets is experiencing lead corrosion ( a powdery white substance that is toxic). I have sealed all of our lead bullets by immersion in Acryloid B-72, then stored all of them in sealed polyethylene bags with a acid free card inside stating the date and sealant used. This will protect them from reacting with other materials.

Finally, and most importantly in storage of lead based objects, NEVER store them in wood cabinets or cases as the tannins in the wood will cause the lead to corrode.

If I can be of any further assistance, please feel free to write or call.

sincerely,
Tina Erwin
Museum Objects Conservator
Kansas Museum of History