From:
"T. Reed" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 1997 10:46:46 -0600
Hello everyone-
        I'm presently working on a re-designing of an exhibit space on
hominid evolution, and thought I might pose a design question to the
list...
        What are your thoughts about including a URL in an exhibit case?
I've thought about the idea as a means to encourage a museum visitor to
check out the web resources available, as well as a way to provide some
sort of constant link with new advances in the field of Biological
Anthropology.  With finds like those we've seen in the past year or so,
phylogenies are constantly being updated, and I think the visitor should
have some sense of this.
        I've also thought this would be a nice way for an institution with
limited resources to achieve this sense of being current without tacking
up a piece of paper on a bulletin board that will inevitably become
neglected, or as an alternative to a dedicated computer program that would
serve the same purpose (and be even more difficult to update.)
        The URL's I'm considering are maintained by the Institute for
Human Origins, one authorized by the Journal for Physical Anthropology,
and one that directly confronts Creationist arguments with the fossil
evidence.  I believe all of them would have some sort of predictable
longevity at their current addresses.
        Soliciting list opinions on this matter-
Timothy Reed
Dept. of Anthropology
University of Iowa

I'd also like to thank everyone who responded to a recent bibliographic
question I posed regarding the work of Diane Gifford-Gonzalez.