From:
"Ellen B. Cutler" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 11:15:23 -0700
David,

Would this be a script for an audiotour?

There are no guidelines, of which I am aware, only some standard questions
to guide the process, and the experience of those who have done them before.

Who is your audience?  A young person?  A person likely to be familiar with
the subject?

Which objects will you focus on and why?

How much help does the audiotour need to give the visitor in order to
navigate the exhibition?

How much information not included on the text panels do you want to include
in the tour?

Do you want or need special audio effects?

And so on.

There are a lot of people like myself who are experienced writers and
specialize in the production of exhibition materials, including text panels,
family guides, and the scripts for tours.  There are excellent
organizations, like NewtonBard in Oregon (www.newtonbard.com), who will
produce the entire tour to your specifications, and within the limits of
your budget, as well.  Please do not hesitate to contact me off-list if you
would like to chat further about this.

You may wish to consult with colleagues whose institutions already have
audiotours of some kind, whether for the permanent collection or for a
temporary exhibition.  They are likely to provide real wisdom about the
notion of "value" in taking on such a project in-house versus the use of a
professional writer or company.

Ellen B. Cutler
LNB Associates: writing, editing, proofreading and research services
731 Clayton Street
Aberdeen, MD  21001
(410 / 272-1905)