From:
Cheryl Maslin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 06:44:20 -0700
A number of museum professions are also artists, and though my work is
more printmaking and bookarts, I am familiar with sculpture as well.

I would advise a good read of Brancusi vs. the United States: the
historic trial of 1928- it is the transcripts of the suit filed by
world-renowned Brnacusi against the United States for failing to
acknowledge his art and demand that they be allowed in duty-free.  The
book is published by Adam Biro, Paris; ISBN 2-87660-256-3

My point to Nesdon- just because a work is reproduced in an edition,
such as sculpture and printmaking and even artist books, does not mean
that they are not unique pieces and can be duplicated easily.  They are
considered to be an original edition- should there be future edititons,
which generally, there are not, they are altered in someway to
distinguish from the first.  Casts may be broken, the work may have been
done directly by the artist who opts not to create another edition,
printmaking plates are destroyed, etc.  The Library of Congress holds
custody of negatives by Andel Adams- sure, new prints can be pulled, but
those who understand Adams' real work know that it was done in the
darkroom by him, he was a master, and that cannot be recreated.  For
that matter, the work created is also representative of a moment in time
that no longer exists.

What is sensed from that last line about bronzes being copies and
duplicated is a gross lack of understanding of the work that is done by
artists particularly in sculpture and is highly disrespectful.  You
would be advised to take a class in lost-wax bronze casting, then you
will understand what the work is about in that kind of sculpture.

Cheyrl Maslin