From:
Stephen Nowlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 17:31:37 -0800
On 2/1/05 3:15 PM, Cecelia Ottenweller's electrons arrived as:

> I've taken the time, however, to read most of the responses on this one since
> it's near and dear to my heart. I've a relative who is homeschooling their
> children and making sure they get the "right" science of creationism. It just
> curls Auntie Ce's hair...

Nice post, Auntie Ce...

You mentioned home-schooling, and my youngest daughter has been
home-schooled since 4th grade.  Next year, to the relief of my wife, she'll
go to regular high school.

Home-schools are an interesting footnote to the science-in-education debate.
Home-schooling seems to have been pioneered by the religious right over the
last few decades, as a means of protecting their children from the
influences of secularism.  They deserve credit for having paved the way in
the home-school biz,  eliminating the bureaucracy and developing the
organizational structures that make it easier for heathens like my wife and
I to choose home-schooling as an option.

But, our home-school organization hired a Caltech-grad neighbor of ours (and
fellow home-school mother) to teach their biology class and to her (and our)
dismay, she was counseled to "tone it down" when it came to the evolution
chapters.  She refused, and reminded the home-school provider that they were
in part supported by public education funds and could get into big trouble.
So, it's not just the South or small-town America that is feeling the
effects and pressures of anti-science thinking in education -- it's right
here in the big city also.  In fact, our home-school organization is pretty
much serving the city sandwiched directly between Jet Propulsion Lab and
Caltech -- the creationist agenda couldn't infiltrate much further into its
enemy's territory than that!

/s

_____________________________________
S t e p h e n    N o w l i n