From:
patricia l roath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Aug 1997 12:10:25 -0500
I would suggest the method used for costume and textile materials: a
vacuum with a piece of muslin covering the hose end.  The muslin reduces
the suction so that the feathers aren't pulled out of shape, and prevents
anything larger than dust particles from being sucked into the vacuum.  You
may have to change the muslin several times, so cut a few pieces (about
3" x 3") ahead of time.  Wrap the muslin over the hose end of a small
canister vacuum, and secure it with a rubber band.  Keep the hose end 1/4
to 1/2 inch away from the surface of the object while you are vacuuming.
Old, clean cotton sheets, which volunteers are often willing to donate,
can be used instead of new muslin.  If you blow the dust off, it will
resettle somewhere else, and you'll still have to remove it.

Pat Roath
Elizabeth Sage Historic Costume Collection
Indiana University
Bloomington
812-855-4627