From:
Christine Dwyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 10:56:54 -0400
Hello,

I'd appreciate comments/opinions/policy suggestions on the following
situation:

I received a call today from an individual who claims to hold the copyright
to a photograph in our collection that we recently published in a book.  The
individual *states* that they are not looking for compensation, nor are they
upset, they simply want to know how we came to acquire the photograph in
question.

I have looked up the information, and found that the photo was donated in
1997 by a different individual who signed all the pertinent forms claiming
to hold sole title to the photo, to transfer title/copyright to our
institution, and acknowledging our right to reproduce the photo in any
manner we see fit.

So... where do I go from here?  I don't want to make a mountain out of a
molehill, but I don't feel comfortable giving out the donor's info to the
caller, especially without knowing the caller's intentions...  Should I
request that the caller provide sufficient proof of copyright before I
release any info, even though she claims just be to "curious?"  What
policies do other institutions have on releasing donor information to
inquirers?  Thanks.

Christine M. Dwyer, Director
Stanly County Museum & Historic Preservation Commission
245 East Main Street, Albemarle, NC 28001
Tel: 704/ 986-3777   Fax: 704/ 986-3778
www.co.stanly.nc.us/Departments/Museum/index.htm