From:
"J. McCrain" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 1995 16:11:42 GMT
I have not been able to find any inexpensive programs for collections
care and management.  The cheapest I have found so far is over $1000 for
"Accession" which only runs on a MacIntosh.  Other programs run from
$5000 to $30,000!

So,...I have been working with a computer programmer for a few months
now, trying to create an inexpensive, yet powerful computer program for
those of us with small budgets and slow computers.  We should have
something available in the next few months.

However, it is becoming increasingly dificult to find software that will
run on a 286 computer.  You are probably going to be stuck with using it
as a word processor.  Most database programs coming out now require a
minimum of 386-33 with 4 meg of RAM (8 meg suggested).

Even the software I am developing will require a minimum configurqation
of a 386-33 processor, DOS 5.0 or better, and Windows 3.1.  I know this
is not what you have, but without this, you will only be able to make
lists of objects, with very crude and limited search capabilities.

Feel free to contact me about this subject.  If I find anything thqt will
work with your computer, I will let you know.

James B. McCrain
Chief Curator
Old City Park
Dallas, Texas