From:
Tracie Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:03:50 -0600
In the case of missing documents (lender or gift), the burden of proof is on
the claimant.  Hopefully you know the person's name who gave you the objects
for your care so you have a name to start from.  The "new" owner would have
to show legal proof of inheritance.  If the items are not specifically
mentioned at the time of probate, they are part of the general estate and
whoever received that would be the legal owner.  If more than one person
did, then they inherited it jointly.  Otherwise they will need to show some
written document (that could hold up in court) to illustrate the transfer of
ownership outside of the will/probate settlement and it should be looked at
by your lawyer for their opinion.  If you are not sure or the documentation
is not clear then stand your ground.  Even without paperwork, your
institution was entrusted with the care of the objects and you must do
everything in your power to return the item to its legal owner.

Involve your lawyer in the discussions and do not give in to sweep it under
the rug (so to speak).  When people get confrontation, explain that you are
following the law and you want to return it to them, but you must protect
the object, the institution and follow all legal/institutional polices.  If
you gave something back and they were not the owner, your institution could
be liable if you failed to require legal proof.  If you do all of these
things and someone still claims ownership, then it should go to the courts
for a decision.

Sincerely,
Tracie Evans
TRHFM Collections Manager