From:
"Robert A. Baron" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 1996 08:50:50 -0500
On Jan 24, 1996 11:11:07, 'Hank Burchard <[log in to unmask]>' wrote:

>-----------------------
>Sender:       Museum discussion list <[log in to unmask]>
>Poster:       Hank Burchard <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Re: Looking for Wild Game Menu
>
>On Tue, 23 Jan 1996, Robert A. Baron wrote:
>
>> A friend of mine knows the chef/owner of a well known French Restaurant
in
>> Vienna Virginia.  One day Venison turned up on the menu.  Inquiring, my
>> friend discovered that the chef had shot the deer in his own back yard.
>> tease his friend, the chef, he tried to suggest a new name for the dish:

>> something like "road kill deer," but couldn't figure out how to
translate
>> "road kill" into French.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
>Uh, yes. If your friend's chef charged anything for those venison
>dishes--and maybe even if he charged only for the rest of the meal, I
>suggest that he keep quiet about it unless he'd like to see the chef
>arrested. It is a violation of federal law to sell any game, any time,
>anywhere. The venison, "wild boar" and so forth that are served in
>American restaurants are legal only if they were imported and/or raised
>on game farms. These are provisions of the Lacey Act, adopted early in
>this century to suppress market gunning (a law for which I, as an
>enthusiastic hunter, am eternally grateful).
>
>Hank Burchard * [log in to unmask] * Washington DC

This happened some years ago.  By now all the evidence has turned to ...

For a photo essay on deerhunting, guaranteed to turn your stomach, see "The
Deerslayers," by Les Krims, 1972.  But what offends? The slayers, not the
dear deer.

Robert A. Baron
Museum Computer Consultant
P.O. Box 93, Larchmont N.Y. 10538