From:
Henry Grunder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 1996 08:10:44 EDT
Jennifer makes a very good and important point. At one time, if
asked, I would have assumed that grant officers encouraged an
arms-length relationship. Not so. It was a revalation to learn
(from some of them) that they encourage early, active and
frequent dialog. It is a matter of self-interest. They are
charged with a.) disbursing money to someone, and b.) are
evaluated on how good their disbursements are. It's a lot like
editors of journals, who have to fill the regularly-scheduled
issues somehow.