From:
Anna Castillo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 14:46:05 -0600
When dealing with groups who have scheduled time in the museum (e.g. tours,
presentations, workshops, etc)  I always strongly recommend that the adult
in charge come to the museum to see the exhibition before the kids do. This
helps to prepare the leader so there are no big surprises.

It sounds like you may not have that kind of control as to who is
participating in the program.  Could you ask people to RSVP?  And then
explain to them that there will be some nude images.  OR if it is open to
the general public, maybe give a small explanation at the beginning of the
program.  State that you will be showing some images with a few nudes in
them.  The discussion of why artists paint nudes is always an interesting
one, even for the little ones.

We currently have an exhibition with a photography installation which shows
full, frontal female nudity as well as other potentially "disturbing"
images.  Some teachers have opted to bring their classes at another time.
Others will be bringing their classes in the morning before the museum
opens so we can close that gallery and the students can focus on the other
works in the exhibition.

Anna M. Castillo
Curator of Education
Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art