From:
lucysperlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 2010 15:57:17 -0800
Dana,
Jeff's right about the five year clause, but it sounds as though you are
already aware that has problems.  The lender would have had to sign an
agreement to that effect to have it possibly hold up. But then you have the
issue of public relations....

As to the main question, it seems as though this is a time for both finesse
and candor, with the lender (or heirs) and family. I'm not a lawyer, but I
worked with dozens of old loan problems at a former museum. It seems that
first, if the lender is no longer alive, you'll have to find out who was
executor of the estate, and/or who heirs or remainder heirs are. When you
find them I'd suggest approaching them fairly low key, as if it's part of a
routine 'clear out old loans' effort, or you might put someone on high alert
that their item is extremely valuable which could scuttle your chances.

Then perhaps you could share with them your enthusiasm about the historic
value of the item and tell them you're thinking of using as a 'featured
symbol' (or whatever, but to say -"marketing tool" might seem a little
crass).  Explain that you'd like their permission to do that, and "oh by the
way if you would agree to finalize it as a donation we'd be able to put your
name as donor."  You should be candid about the 'new' standard museum
practice for museums to have clear title to their collections and you hope
they understand the historic value to the community and that it would be so
wonderful if the item could be held permanently in a public repository for
the enjoyment and appreciation of generations to come.... ya da ya da....
(Another part of the persuasion might be to note how the original lender
wanted it to be where it could be appreciated by all....)  and so on.

Make their family history seem important and of value, and unless they are
unconscious about history and only see dollar signs (if it also has monetary
value), or unless multiple heirs totally disagree, you can probably manage
to snag the donation or at least work out something everyone is comfortable
with.... the bottom line is to set up a new understanding for all concerned
so you don't have to worry about the item suddenly being whisked away.  That
said however, a solution with some permanence, even if it means biting the
bullet and returning the item or getting them to sign a new loan form with a
five or ten year contract, is in the best interest of your institution.

Lucy Sperlin
Butte County Historical Society
Oroville, CA