From:
Harry Needham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 08:15:47 -0500
We charge for:

a. tours by school groups (reduced group rate)
b. educational programs conducted in the museum for school groups
c. educational programs conducted in the schools by museum education staff.

Charging a small fee does not deter schools from using our programs
(transportation to and from the museum is the big cost item for the
schools). Our revenue (which probably now covers just under 10 7% of the
actual costs, including salaries, of running the education programs) has
doubled in the past year alone. However, were we to charge anything
approaching a cost-recovery fee, we - and probably every other museum -
would price ourselves right out of the market.

Harry Needham
Special Advisor - Programme Development
Canadian War Museum
330 Sussex Drive,
Ottawa, Canada
K1A 0M8
Voice: (819) 776-8612  Fax (819) 776-8623
Email: [log in to unmask]