From:
Ashley Downing <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2016 11:36:24 -0600
Ashley,

In may someone posed a similar question. I've attached the comments that people shared then. Hopefully this helps to answer your question.

A couple things to clarify here.

The intent of the digitization is paramount here. Is if for preservation? To preserve the information from a newspaper from the 1920 printed on acidic paper? If you digitize once and do not distribute you're fine.  As others have noted there are provisions in the copyright law that protects that. Is this for research and education? To make the digitized newspaper available to historians, students, etc., then it is probably permitted under Fair Use. Is this to copy and reproduce in large quantities to sell far and wide? Then it is not Fair Use and falls under a copyright if it still in force.

Just a reminder, this is not the New York Times, that is a company with over 160 years of publishing and is still a legal corporation with their own archives that they use to generate income. In the instance that we've been discussing this is from a newspaper that probably went out of business, and the corporation / publisher who would hold the copyright is long gone and may not have filed copyright extension that would cover this specific newspaper in question.

So, first, due diligence means that you check first to see if this specific paper is still under copyright. If it isn't then it's public domain. Scan away.

Second, if you meet the guidelines for Fair Use, for a newspaper long gone, there is little to worry about. It really has no monetary value under copyright for anyone to claim. The cost of digitization is probably more than the value of the actual newspaper on eBay.

Third, and importantly, just because you own an object, like a painting or an ancient Greek Vase, you do not own the copyright. Only the creator of the work owns the copyright, unless it was created as a work-for-hire. For art or objects that are in the public domain, when you have photos taken of that object, you own the copyright to the photos. The photographs are the copyrights that are used for museum reproductions and publications. You control access to your collections, and thus limit and set conditions for the use of photographs of them by others. This is not a tricky question. It is well settled in case law.

Cheers!

Dave

David Harvey

Senior Conservator & Museum Consultant