From:
David Palmquist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 15:38:58 -0500
There are many creative museum names.  Here are some "new," different or humorous museum names, as chartered or incorporated in New York State, with one example (Newseum) from elsewhere.

A Stitch in Time (a textile museum)
Artists Choice Museum
Artists Space
Artspace
Bateaux Below (underwater archeology of historic boats)
Bliseum (museum for the blind)
Canandaigua Lively Arts Council
Chemung Valley Old Timers Association
Chestnut House Living History Center
City Lore, Inc.
CIVIC Heritage
Cradle of Aviation Museum
Creative Cultural Center
Discovery Center of Science & Technology
Discovery Center of the Capitol Region
Discovery Center of the Southern Tier
Dream Machine - Buffalo's Discovery Museum
Explore and More . . . A Children's Museum
Four Centuries Incorporated
Graphic Eye Gallery
Heritage Hunters of Saratoga County (genealogists)
History for Our Children
Home Sweet Home Museum
Land of the Lenapes Society
Long Island Explorium
Lower Hudson Interactive Museum
Magnolia Tree Earth Center
Mudpies Children's Museum
Museum of Memories
Museum of the Universe
Nassau Heritage
Newseum (a museum of news and media)
Pacem in Terris (religious art)
People's Museum
Petrified Creatures Museum of Natural History (fossil site)
Place in History
Preserve It Now
Rochester Exploratorium
Sci-Tech Center of Northern New York
Science & Discovery Center
Science Discovery Center of Oneonta
Sciencenter Discovery Museum
Scienceport
State of the Art Gallery
toldot.org: The Online Jewish Museum for the Next Generation
World Awareness Children's Museum

David W. Palmquist
Head, Chartering Program
NY State Museum
State Education Department
3090 Cultural Education Center
Albany NY 12230
518-473-3131
FAX 518-473-8496
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]
web site:  www.nysm.nysed.gov/charter/

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/29/01 01:48PM >>>
Hi, folks
We are looking for some ideas about the naming of museums. Specifically,
our director would like to see a list of organizations with "new" types of
names rather than the Such-and-Such Museum of Blah, Blah and Blah. (Lest
you be offended, our museum is the Museum of York County; used to be the
Children's Nature Museum of York County.) He is also interested in what
organizations with multiple sites call themselves - both overall name and,
within that context, individual institution names. You may reply to me at
the address below. TIA,
Anne

Anne T. Lane, Collections Manger
York County Culture & Heritage Commission
4621 Mount Gallant Road
Rock Hill SC 29715
803-329-2121 ext 104