From:
Judith Turner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 2009 12:21:58 -0700
Hi, Joshua --

"On deposit" could mean any number of things.  The first thing I would do is check and see if you can find the item(s) in your collection.  They may have moved from on deposit to accessioned collections without the note being updated; or they may have been returned to the person who left it for identification, condition appraisal, valuation (if it was left some years back), temporary exhibit loan, heirs settling an estate.

The item(s) could be abandoned property if they were brought in more than 3 years ago and the person failed to retrieve them (fossils that turned out to be modern animals, antiques that turned out to be modern reproductions, plants, insects, etc. that people thought might be endangered species but are common.)  "On deposit" might also refer to inter-institutional loans that were open-ended as far as a return date goes.

Have you tried checking correspondence, monthly reports, board minutes, etc. to see if any "on deposits" showed up there?  That's often where you will find more detail than in accession books, especially for items that have been around for a number of years.

Judy Turner
Whitefish Bay,WI