From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2007 07:42:37 -0700
Sue,

As a conservator with many years of experience in objects and
especially in the treatment of metals and arms I also advise you to
NOT attempt to "clean" the coins or currency yourself. And this is
especially important if this coinage is on loan - you and your
institution are entirely liable for what happens to these objects
under your care.

People often have different ideas of what "cleaning" means - and this
can lead to disasterous results - one man's dirt is another man's
patina. The preservation of patina is paramount in metal objects such
as coins as well as in historic arms and militaria. And bright and
shiny is NOT preservation.

Your best bet is to work with your lighting and exhibit mounts as a
way to make these coins more visually accessible.

If you choose to get a conservator then make sure that you choose one
who has experience with the treatment of coins - their proper
conservation can be quite tricky.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey