From:
Robert Do <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 11:51:30 -0400
Lisa,
   Do you know what type of fire extinguisher was discharged? Depending on
the extinguisher, you may have more or less problems with conservation. Here
is a list of the different types of dry chemical fire extinguishers:
    * BC - This is the regular type of dry chemical extinguisher. It is
filled with sodium bicarbonate or potassium bicarbonate. The BC variety
leaves a mildly corrosive residue which must be cleaned immediately to
prevent any damage to materials.
    * ABC - This is the multipurpose dry chemical extinguisher. The ABC type
is filled with monoammonium phosphate, a yellow powder that leaves a sticky
residue that may be damaging to electrical appliances such as a computer

   If you have a BC chemical extinguisher, the textiles need to be
neutralized immediately. I understand water is difficult with older
textiles, but potassium bicarbonate and sodium bicarbonate is often impure
in manufacture, and at times gives-off chlorine, which is more damaging to
the textiles (especially if they have natural dyes). Monoammonium phosphate
is generally harmless, but is sticky. The chemical can be treated like any
other sticky residue that needs cleaning, though I would suggest limiting
contact with heat.
   In the case of the wood, it's best to clean first with water, and then
any weakened solvent after sufficient amounts of residue is removed. I hope
this is helpful. I would like to state that I am not a professional
conservator, though I have some experience in restoration/ conservation from
working in the museum and auction industry.
Sincerely,
Robert Do