From:
Boylan P <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 00:24:03 +0100
Sadly theft is a real problem with rare books and it is often difficult to
prove that a particular copy was the one stolen from XXX when it comes on
the market again.

It is therefore essential both to mark them physically and the record
in detail (and where possible photograph) any abnormalities - such as
damages, water-stains etc. when could be demonstrated to be unique.

Even if erased traces of library or museum registration mark may still be
readable under laboratory conditions.  One important case concerning two
highly valuable volumes claimed to have been stolen by the Nazis about to
come before the courts hinges to a very large extent that traces of the
official registration numbers of the Rosenberg Nazi Looting Squad have
been identified on the volumes, which match the allocated numbers
recorded in the Rosenberg Archive.

Patrick Boylan

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, Christine Mouw wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> Will folks please share with me their current methods for marking accession numbers on rare and valuable books?  We seem to be divided over here between those who want to pencil the number softly in the back cover or last page, and those who want the nu
mber written on a piece of acid-free paper and inserted between the pages.

> Comments?  Suggestions?  Please reply to me off list if you're shy.
>

> Christine Mouw
> Assistant Curator
> Herbert Hoover Presidential Library-Museum
> West Branch, Iowa  52358

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ museum-l.html. You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] The body of the message sho
uld read "help" (without the quotes).

> [log in to unmask] The body of the message should read "Signoff
> Museum-L" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).