From:
Wendy Claire Jessup <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jan 2006 23:24:49 -0500
Further to Dave and Pam's excellent comments, I'd like to refer you to a
publication that I wrote with Monona Rossol ten years ago and presented at
the 1995 American Institute for Conservation Annual Meeting in Minneapolis:

Rossol, M. and W.C. Jessup 1996. "No Magic Bullets: Ethical Considerations
for Pest Management Strategies", Museum Management and Curatorship, Vol. 15.
No. 2, pp. 145-168.

In this article we reported on testing done on collections materials where a
wide range of (unexpected) hazardous materials were found on the objects,
not just the mercury and arsenic compounds that have typically been used as
pesticides on natural science and anthropological materials in the past.

Therefore, we need to consider not only the damage that our hands or
improper materials can do to the objects.  As we state in the paper, gloves
also help to protect the person working with the collections from known and
unknown hazards such as pesticide residues, PCBs, etc. that may remain on
the objects.

Wendy Claire Jessup
Conservator
Wendy Jessup and Associates Inc.