From:
KU Entomology Museum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 09:18:57 -0500
Another suggestion I have heard for repelling/killing dermestids is
sprinkling diatomaceous earth on or around the specimen. I have not
experimented with this, but have heard about it from various sources that
insist that it works. It gets the specimen dusty however, so if it has nooks
and crannies that are deep, it may be hard to get this stuff out. One
benefit of using this is that it is safe as safe can be, it is effectively
chalk dust.
Hope this helps,
Brian

Brian L. Beatty
Interim Collection Manager
Snow Entomology Collection, KU Natural History Museum
1460 Jayhawk Blvd. - Snow Hall
University of Kansas
Lawrence, KS 66045-7523 USA
[log in to unmask] * 785.864.3034