From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 13:12:00 -0600
Greetings all!

Joslyn Art Museum depends heavily upon school group visits, as I assume
do most museums.  Unfortunately, some of our local/regional school
boards have eliminated funding for such excursions.  (An odd decision
that public schools ought to teach everything without requiring
additional financial support from parents.)  As a result, Joslyn has
managed to attract donors willing to sponsor school visits - not only
for admission, but also for transportation costs.

At the beginning of the year, we mail - to about 8,000 local and
regional teachers, schools and teachers' associations/organizations - a
6-page, single-fold, 4-color print school services brochure.  This is
the source of all information on-line at:

        http://www.joslyn.org/teach/teach.htm

The information included is:

* guided tour topics (some with supplementary art-making activity)
* outreach trunks (pictures of the trunks were recently added)
* other resources, such as books and videos, Museum in a Box, and
        Discovering Art (an in-class program for grades 5 to 9)
* educator resource packets - hard-copy and on-line
        featuring slides/images with text and lesson/activity plans
* educator events - which teach teachers how to incorporate aspects
        of Joslyn's permanent collections and special exhibitions
        into their curricula (social studies and humanities subjects)

For special exhibitions of greater importance, we typically print and
distribute a double-sided, glossy flyer with necessary information about
the exhibition, pricing, related programs, etc. - normally similar text
used for our Members' newsletter, in-house flyers and web site.

Lastly, educators are given a discounted rate for membership, to
encourage their support of and reliance upon Joslyn Art Museum for
personal and professional use.

Not sure if this is the kind of information or response desired?  I'm
always willing and able to answer questions.

Best wishes, sincerely,

Jay Heuman
Visitor & Volunteer Services Coordinator
Joslyn Art Museum
2200 Dodge Street, Omaha, NE, 68102
342-3300 (telephone)   342-2376 (fax)

Museum
* Etymology: Latin Museum place for learned
occupation, from Greek Mouseion, from
neuter of Mouseios of the Muses, from Mousa
* an institution devoted to the procurement,
care, study, and display of objects of lasting
interest or value; also, a place where
objects are exhibited.