From:
Beth Gelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 2004 10:27:56 -0600
As someone who has spent many years on both sides of the equation - as a
classroom teacher and as a museum outreach educator - I know that sometimes
this situation is more complicated than it seems to the presenter.
A teacher's workday is extremely full and sometimes you have to use every
opportunity to get all your work done.  As long as teachers are quietly
working in the room and making sure their kids behave, count your blessings.
I know it's better if they are part of the program but sometimes it just
isn't possible on that particular day.

Be aware that often these special programs take place during the daily time
the teacher has set aside for preparing the next lesson.

But teachers also need to abide by the rules of being quiet when someone
else is talking.  So if they are talking, you are perfectly within your
rights to say (politely) "I'm sorry but it's difficult for me to concentrate
when you are talking.  If it's important, would you mind talking in the
hall?"
I did one program where the teachers were so disruptive that I had the class
turn around as a group and say "Ssshhh!!" to their teachers.  It was done in
good spirits and the teachers laughed.  But then they were quiet.

I always find it helpful to remember that what distracts me also distracts
the kids I am trying to teach.  When you remind the teachers to be quiet,
you are being an advocate for the kids as well as speaking up for yourself.
Their teachers would do the same.

Best of luck!

Beth Gelman
The Children's Museum in Oak Lawn