From:
"Alice S. Wessen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 2000 14:01:57 -0800
  Hi.
I've been reading dialogue on a couple of museum/non-profit list-serves
regarding where to look for NASA education materials.
NASA Educator Resource Centers (ERC) are located on or near NASA Field
Centers, museums, colleges, or other nonprofit organizations.
The ERC's provide educators with in service and pre service training,
demonstrations, and access to NASA instructional products.
The list of state Educator Resource Centers can be found through most of
the NASA centers. For convenience, I am including the links from the Jet
Propulsion Laboratory (see below) and NASA's education web site
(http://education.nasa.gov/).
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/forum/ercstate.html
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/forum/erccenter.html

The JPL Educator Resource Center has recently relocated to Pomona, CA, and
is open for educator services.
Educators visit in person (please call 909-397-4420 for hours and
directions!) or can request NASA/JPL materials by either using US Mail or
Fax. Please be sure to put your request on school or museum letterhead.

US Mail address:
        NASA/JPL Educator Resource Center
        Village at Indian Hill
        1460 East Holt Ave., Suite 20
        Pomona CA 91767
        Phone: (909) 397-4420
        FAX: (909) 397-4470
        http://learn.jpl.nasa.gov

The NASA educators site includes resources for the informal education
community (museums, libraries and non-profits etc.).
http://education.nasa.gov/

Spacelink, an Aeronautics and Space Resource for Educators Since 1988, has
several resources for the education community.
http://spacelink.nasa.gov/.index.html

For images, these sites might help:
http://spacelink.nasa.gov/Instructional.Materials/Multimedia/NASA.Pictures.P
hotographs.and.Images/
http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/
http://nix.nasa.gov/
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/pictures/

For a new site dedicated to JPL/NASA technology pictures, try:
http://technology.jpl.nasa.gov/  Go to the right side of the page and click
on the "technology gallery" button. Site is updated constantly. We are in
the midst of adding more-be patient.

One museum and library effort that I am familiar with is the Space Place,
in which museums and libraries participate by setting aside a bulletin
board for posters, news, announcements, drawings, or anything else about
space can be posted.
http://spaceplace.jpl.nasa.gov/museums/index.html
The Weekly Reader Corporation provides a classroom subscription (30 copies)
of Weekly Reader 4 (4th grade) to each of the Space Place partners.

Of course there is more. But the other comment that runs through the
e-mails is that there is so much, people get lost.
So I hope this helps.

Also, thank you-
Our family vacations as a child and now with my kids include visits to the
local museum, parks or science centers.  I have fond memories of watching
park rangers show grainy movies during summer evenings, staring at the bats
coming out of Carlsbad Caverns, pulling levers and pushing buttons at the
Mathmatica exhibit in the old California Science center, dancing in wet
sand at grunion runs at the Cabrillo museum in Long Beach, finding and
reading stacks of books with helpful staff at the little Arcata Library in
Humboldt, California, touching horseshoe crabs at the New York Aquarium,
poking at the oozing tar of the La Brea Tar pits, and sitting in the huts
of the Makah museum in northern Washington.   There are many more, and my
family's education has been rich for it.
Thank you all for being dedicated to teaching and inspiring the public,
especially kids.

Alice Wessen

Alice S. Wessen
Lead-Technology Theme, JPL Office of Communications and Education
Mail Stop 180-603
Voice Mail 1-818-354-4930/Fax: 1-818-354-7354
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
http://technology.jpl.nasa.gov/
Arthur C. Clarke