From:
Carol Reid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 11:14:22 -0400
Regarding employment in a military museum and that "great job". That "great
job" is the goal of most of us and some of us are fortunate enough to find
it.

It is not always an easy thing to get into a museum, let alone a military
museum. Regimentally supported museums often use ex-military people or post
in people from the regiment for 3-5 years. Volunteering and getting yourself
known is always a good start (it worked for me!!) And as we all know,
museums and galleries can be notoriously under-funded, with military museums
often receiving even less, due to problems of perception by the public, and
the fact that many are often run by a regiment who can only afford to run
the museum on a shoe string budget. (There are of course always exceptions
to the rule)

I presume that you are interested in Army history as opposed to Navy or
Airforce, butg since I was not sure, the following web sites list many, many
military museum around the world and has great listings of military museum
in the States, and will at least get you some addresses to start writing to
http://www.cfcsc.dnd.ca/links/milhist/mus.html
http://www-saw.arts.ed.ac.uk/misc/museums.html.
This one is for New York only
http://www.dmna.state.ny.us/historic/histlink.html