From:
Hanna Eckroth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 2014 13:31:08 -0400
Hello from Texas!

I work at a historic site of relocated structures in rural East Texas. Contained within all of the buildings are displays of the extensive collections of Lera Millard Thomas, the first woman to represent Texas in Congress. One of the highlights of her collection is a department store mannequin which we were told is very valuable but need more information about. The mannequin is about 40 in/100 cm tall with a wig of human hair. We do know that she was made around 1910 by the Simon and Halberg company. She has a German porcelain head and is jointed at the wrists, elbows, shoulders, knees, and hips.

An overseas visitor who came for a tour told us that the mannequin was a "Kathe Kruse Puppen" doll and advised us that this object is very valuable and we need to have it in a proper display. Has anyone ever worked with this type of artifact or would know where to direct us?  I am trying to determine the best course of preservation and this depends on the value of the mannequin.  You can contact me off list at [log in to unmask] and I can send some pictures at that point if needed. Thank you!

Hanna Eckroth
Assistant Director
Millard's Crossing Historic Village
(936) 564-6631