From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 19:37:48 -0800
Since volunteerism is another one of those very
important topics to me, given that I used to average
about 250 hours a year and was a member of a corporate
committee to promote giving of oneself in service to
community, there are a couple of other benefits that
have yet to be addressed.

National Points of Light (I believe) comes up with an
equivalency for the value of volunteer work.  I don't
remember what it was (I want to say it was $14 an hour
a couple of years ago), but if you take simple minimum
wage and extrapolate it with the number of hours per
volunteer, multiplied against the number of hours
(s)he volunteers, then aggregate the total for all
volunteers, your development department has another
great tool to use in securing funding.  Funders are
often concerned about how else you are getting help,
and this is something you can use.

Volunteers need to know that there is a tax write-off
for the miles you travel to and from the place at
which you volunteer.  It behooves you to consult your
tax man, the IRS booklets, and/or look it up online to
see what that figure is and start maintaining an Excel
spreadsheet on same at this, the start of a new year.

=====
Indigo Nights

Looking for a job?  Try:
http://victorian.fortunecity.com/stanmer/414   OR