From:
Allyn Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 1997 16:52:26 -0600
For the March annual meeting of the Arkansas Museums Association, I'm
moderating a session on "Change and Controversy: Facing the Tough Stuff."
The goal of the session is to get audience members to start thinking about
the ethical decisions needed to address some of the thorny problems we
face as museum professionals.

Part of the session description reads:  "Often the most difficult
decisions we face in museums are those precipitated by internal conflict
due to change or activities that may appear to be controversial.  When our
professional training and ethics come up against tradition, personal
viewpoint, or the contrary opinons of trustees, volunteers, or other
staff, what can be done?"

Among the topic areas to be discussed in a roundtable format are:
controversial exhibits; introducing new/alternative themes or viewpoints
(voices) into the museum; "professionalizing" museum procedures; and
making sure that the historical story is the accurate story.

Because we're a relatively small state where most everyone knows
everyone else, and because I'd like to avoid finger-pointing and
accusations, I'm asking the speakers not to describe situations at museums
other than their own.  However, I'd like to be able to give some examples
of museums which have encountered some of the above problems and describe
strategies for dealing with the problem.

Is anyone willing to provide anecdotal information on any of these
topics... with or without naming museum names... in order to provide
examples at the session?  Please respond to me privately.  THANKS!

Allyn Lord, Asst. Director
Rogers Historical Museum        [log in to unmask]
322 S. Second St.               501/621-1154
Rogers, AR  72756               501/443-1302 (home